Friday, May 31, 2013

Homemade Everything!

I have almost been on the gaps diet 2 weeks now! And boy what a crazy 2 weeks its been. I have learned so much and have basically lived in my kitchen. Its been amazing the skills and recipes I have learned. And pinterest has been one of my best friends for finding my gaps friendly recipes. Since the Gaps diet is somewhat strict. A lot has to be made at home, because store bought has additives and non-gaps ingredients. So a few things I made the last few days- homemade peanut butter, salad dressings, mayonnaise, ketchup,

To be honest I have definitely found myself cranky at times, weak from detoxing, and a bit stressed. There is a lot that my body is going through to heal itself and a lot of toxins its trying to get rid of. And did I mention GOING OFF OF SUGAR? Its crazy how addicted your body gets to that stuff. I have been craving it like crazy! And I can't even help calm that craving with a piece of fruit yet. So its definitely been a challenge.  (esp with no chocolate at this point) But I know my body is going to get better and better and that urge will subside. I really have felt pretty great with no bloating, cramping, or anything that used to happen when I ate processed stuff.

So for me its been soup, soup, soup non stop. Today I just got to add in squash pancakes. Super simple, super delicious! (the picture was of the pancakes i made for the kids, since I can't have fruit at this point)

 
 Butternut squash Pancakes:
1 small butternut squash cooked
2 eggs
a pinch of salt
-blend in blender
 (you can also add a bit of nut butter to the batter as well) 
And bake on the griddle with butter or coconut oil. (you can also sprinkle cinnamon on top) 
Top with any yummy fruit or jelly or peanut butter!

 I am loving the addition! I also can eat eggs along with my soup. So the other day I made one of my favorites....Egg drop soup. The recipe is really simple...



Egg Drop Soup
3 Leeks sliced (slice the light part near the root)
2 onions diced
2 quarts stock
2 teaspoons sea salt
4 carrots
1 T grated ginger
2 cloves of garlic
3 egg yolks beaten

Add everything except egg yolks to stock. Let simmer for 1 hour (until soft) bring to boil and gently drip a thin stream of yolk into into stock making thin noodles.
Wallah! Enjoy!

With spending so much time in the kitchen I found making large amounts of soup and putting them in jars to freeze works so well! In crunch times its quick and easy. 

I wrote myself out a chart as well to show me what stage is next in the intro diet. I am just beginning stage 3!



So today the kids and I wanted to do a fun baking project. Since they have been doing so well  staying on the full gaps diet and going sugar free, grain free. I thought we could make them a bit of a treat. So we attempted to make Homemade gummy bears (that turned out circles) It was very fun! And we decorated little baggies and have it waiting for special treats.  A pretty basic process...

The full recipe I got from this website- check it out. The Banana-lemon is our favorite. I added more stevia and honey to make sure it had a good taste.

   Homemade Gummies:
Banana Lemon

-Mash 2 bananas and 1/4 c lemon juice.
Add to a pot with a 1/4 cup fruit juice (any)
boil 3 minutes
Pour in blender and blend for a few minutes.
Let cool 5-7 minutes
Add 2 teaspoons honey
Stevia to taste
2 T unflavored gelatin

Blend and pour into a plastic container, pie pan, or regular pan.
Cool 1 hour
cut out shapes 





Want more flavors and recipes: check out this site


The kids made their own bags too! check it out!
Creed's baggie
 Adonia's baggies


I have been having fun putting thier plates together at meal time. Trying to add variety and health. They enjoy coming in and helping get everything ready.They do great eating all their veggies and finish everytime! I am super proud of them and what a support for me.


As incentive for the kids to avoid sugar and grains (its hard to do that at parties) we have set up a system. Before we go to a party we let them know there will be sweets there. But if they don't have any we give them options for a treat (go to a park on a special day, have a slumber party, make our sugar free icecream when we get home etc) It has really helped! Plus i bring along a sugar free cupcake or cookie that they can have.
I can't wait to get to the full diet myself and be able to actually eat all the food I have been cooking for my family. Everything looks so good! Even the salad! 


 Getting out and doing things as a family has helped a lot in taking my mind off of food and cravings. We went strawberry picking the other night, camping twice in the last few weeks, slumber parties, movie nights. walks as a family, playing in the rain,gatherings, and just good fun time in the kitchen together.



 Strawberry patch

 We enjoyed memorial day with a few friends.






A girls night campout was called to order when I had the urge to get a little break. It was fun. Beautiful stormy weather. And us girls in the camper, snacking (well they were), playing games, watching movies, and drinking tea.
The kids joined me at the campground in the morning.  In the midst of also potty training Creed. With us and only one other camper on the campgrounds I decided to just let him walk around wild and free! He would run to his potty and sit when he had to go. If he missed....we were outdoors! :)


Not sure what the park ranger thought! But it was a funny site!


Whats to come tonight? A barn dance! And tomorrow is a full day of wedding photography!

Blessings to you all!
Hannah Winter



No comments:

Post a Comment